It is amusing and disquieting when one receives emails from the Dhimmis – or Muslim lovers – screaming that Islam is peace and there is no compulsion in the Koran and that anyone who writes the truth about Islam is a racist, fascist, conservative Hitlerite etc. These Dhimmi-wits often cite Sura 2:256 which indeed does say, out of context, that there is no compulsion in religion. But what the Dhimmis don't understand is that in this single verse – the only one they can find in the entire Koran – non-Muslims are assumed to be slaves and there is no compulsion towards your slaves. Why would there be ? Slaves work, toil and pay the jizya or slave-head tax. Why force revenue producing agents into being Islamic ?
As I wrote in reviewing Sura 2, verse 256 is always held up to be the example of Islamic tolerance and love. This is however, entirely misleading. 2:256 says, “Let there be no compulsion in religion.” It is directly followed by 2:257 which makes it clear what 2:256 is really saying, “Allah is the Protector of those who have faith: from the depths of darkness He will lead them forth into light. Of those who reject faith the patrons are the Evil Ones: from light they will lead them forth into the depths of darkness. They will be Companions of the fire, to dwell therein (forever).”
It is obvious that 2:256 is referring to the fact that in Koranic theology the compulsion of slaves or Dhimmis is unnecessary, since the moon deity, Ali-ilah is going to send them to hell anyways. This is confirmed elsewhere in the same Sura where we have a dozen or more calls to Jihad:
90. Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you...
191. And slay them wherever you catch them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter;
216. Fighting is prescribed for you, and you dislike it. But it is possible that you dislike a thing which is good for you, and that you love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knows, and you know not.
[*In other words, fighting and killing in the name of Allah is not only okay but mandatory. Allah wills it.]
217. Tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter. Nor will they cease fighting you until they turn you back from your faith if they can.
[*'They' obviously references infidels and especially the Jews. This verse portrays the warring Muslims as 'oppressed' fighting against the overwhelming power of the Jews or Christians. The opposite was reality in the Arab peninsula circa 624 A.D. The Jews and Christians were in part wealthy traders and land owners, but far outnumbered of course by the local Arabs.]
244. Then fight in the cause of Allah, and know that Allah hears and knows all things.
Is the above clear enough ? More calls to violence and war exist in this Sura but the above are clear examples of compulsion. Sura 2:256 is an anomaly in that it identifies existing slaves or Dhimmis as those who should not be coerced into Islamic ritualization. The Jizya or poll tax is applied to Dhimmis and it made the Muslim empires very wealthy indeed. In many Islamic states we know from records kept that children, the dead, and the indigent old were made to pay the Jizya. Dhimmis were also assaulted by the Kharaj production tax which typically took 50-75% of a Dhimmi's output. This is called tax-farming – and it still goes on in Islam today.
It is also necessary to understand that Sura 2 was written in Mecca as part of the Meccan Koran. This was the early stage of Islamic development and the Suras written during this time are decidedly less imperialistic, fascistic and racist than later Suras. The Meccan Koran is however superseded by this later 'Medina' Koran, written when Mohammed and his Muslim bandits had amassed wealth, an army and were on the jihad, eventually conquering Mecca in 630 AD. An example of the Medina Koran is Sura 9 which openly advocates war and conquest. See here for a complete review of this Sura.
14. Fight them, and Allah will punish them by your hands,
25. Assuredly Allah did help you in many battle-fields and on the day of Hunain: behold! ...
26. But Allah poured his calm on the Messenger and on the Believers, and sent down forces you did not see: he punished the Unbelievers: thus does He reward those without Faith.
29. Fight those who do not believe in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which has been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger.....until they pay the Jizya with willing submission and feel themselves subdued.
39. Unless you go forth, He will punish you with a grievous penalty, and put others in your place
41. You go forth....and strive and struggle, with your goods.....
44. Those who believe in Allah and the Last Day ask you for no exemption from fighting with their goods and persons.
Allah is thus sending angels, divine help and power to aid Islam in its expansion. Its eventual victory is thus assured. You can't blame the obvious nature of the violence and supremacism expressed in the above verses on 'translations'. There are clear statements of intent and divine inspiration, in the name of holy war and world conquest. They also completely nullify any pretensions which 2:256 might have – even though 2:256 references only slaves in deference to Islamic power.
The Great Black Jesus, the most important man in history, recited passage 2:256 last June in Cairo, [see here for a review of his submission], when he groveled to the Islamic world and professed his great admiration for the Arab moon cult. The problem with the Black God, excitable email writers, and with ignoramuses who extol Islam, is that the single verse they are able to find in the entire Koran, which purportedly says 'no compulsion in religion', does not in fact make that claim whatsoever. They hang their hat of Islamic 'justice' on this one sorry peg in a very sorry book – and the verse does not even support what they think it does !
Islam is compulsion. The Koran demands nothing less than the complete subjugation, or Dhimmitude humiliation of non-believers. This is stated on every page in this execrable book. Being ignorant about the true intentions of Islam will not make it peaceful. It just makes the holder of such views look like the fool and Dhimmi-wit that he most assuredly is.